Tuesday 16 June 2015

Here's Why You Should Start Approaching Guys First

Here's Why You Should Start Approaching Guys First

You've heard the age-old adage that men love the chase. And yes, while it's true that playing hard to get can definitely make a guy's interest in you skyrocket, that's not the only way (or the best way) to grab the attention of someone you've got your eye on. In lieu of that, or waiting around for him to approach you, you can go with option #3: Work up the guts to make the first move. It's terrifying, but it can also be the best way to meet awesome guys[1].

meet-guys

I have a boyfriend, but I was recently working on a story that required me to get quotes from men. I'd exhausted all the possible friends and friends of friends I thought would contribute something juicy, so I wound up in New York City's Bryant Park. Eventually, I worked up the courage to approach a table of two guys and ask them to talk to me about their sex lives.

While the first attempt was rocky, it got easier each time I did it. Even when two guys declined to be quoted in the piece, we had a lovely conversation about art and music. Another table of guys I talked to explained that they were environmental canvassers, so they totally got where I was coming from. And later that night at a bar with friends, I continued the quest indoors. Were some of them totally uninterested? Of course. Did the kindness of the other ones totally make up for it? Absolutely.

Just like anything else that scares you, going up to guys takes practice. I hadn't even thought about "meeting" men during the process, since I was only in it for work purposes (really). But I realized that there should be no reason we can't all interact in real life. You might be more comfortable behind a phone or computer screen, sure, but guys are out there all around you at all times. We shouldn't let our approaching-cute-strangers muscle get out of shape! I found it's easiest when you walk up with a big, sweet smile and a simple, "Hi, guys!" Trust me, 'sunny' isn't my typical disposition. But being nice and outgoing goes a long way, and it's the easiest way to get them talking, sharing, and even asking me to get in touch for future stories if I need quotes (in your case, that would translate to asking for your number).

As women, many of us still feel like we have to wait and let men make the move. Why? Don't worry that approaching a guy would make you seem needy, or desperate, or overbearing. If he thinks that, that's totally fine, because he's clearly not interested in meeting people. But you're just going after what you want. Crossing a party or a bar or a street to strike up a conversation with someone doesn't need to be a big deal. Just think of it as one human connecting to another, without the aid of electronics.

In real-life, at least you can avoid some of the awkward stuff that happens online. Watch our It's Not OK, Cupid video for a laugh:

Photos: Stocksy

References

  1. ^ meet awesome guys (www.glamour.com)

Source : http://feeds.glamour.com/c/35377/f/665037/s/4749c09e/sc/14/l/0L0Sglamour0N0Csex0Elove0Elife0Cblogs0Csmitten0C20A150C0A60Capproach0Emen0Efirst0Emeeting0Eguys/story01.htm
If you want to unsubscribe Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment